Thursday, January 17, 2008

An early welcome to the world


Well... I have decided to start blogging about our newest addition to our family so everyone can be informed!

Bryn Adrianna Stephens made an early arrival into this world on January 15th at 10:09 am. My contractions started at about 1:30am on Monday night. After an hour and a half of counting contractions every 2 to 4 minutes I called the doctor who confirmed I should go to the hospital to be checked out. They monitored me for about 30 minutes and confirmed I was having contractions every 2 minutes. Because I was only 36 weeks and 1 day, they decided to give me an iv bag to see if it would help ease up the contractions. No luck! After this unsuccessful attempt they gave me something (can't remember the name) in my iv to see if it would stop the contractions. This only made them come stronger and closer together. At 9am on Tuesday morning they decided there was no stopping this baby and set me up for a repeat c-section. My original section date was February 6th.

The doctors gave us all of the things that could happen and informed us that we had a 50/50 chance of getting a healthy baby at 36 weeks. All seemed well after she was born. She came out crying which was a good sign but soon wore herself out. She was taken to the NICU for observation only to find out that her lungs were not working as they had expected. After several hours of observation they made the decision to intubate her and let a ventilator do the breathing for her to giver her a break.

It has been a rollercoaster since then. Tuesday she was responding well to the oxygen and ventilator but Wednesday she started to not respond sending her back just a little bit. She was stable Thursday and Friday.

Saturday morning they will give her another chest xray to see if her lungs have matured. Her last xray showed some improvement so we are praying that this next xray shows even more maturity!

5 comments:

Jake and Emily said...

Praying for your family & hoping that Baby Bryn's x-rays show improvement!

Ted Stephens III said...

glad you are doing this to keep us informed. thinking about you guys, and can't wait to see bryn soon, i hope. xo! t

Aunt Pat said...

I am praying for you and your new little one. Hope everything goes well. Love ya! Pat

Tricia said...

Nikk and Paul-

You are in our thoughts and prayers during this time and always. Keep us updated but most importantly, take care of yourselves, each other and your beautiful daughters.

Love, Tricia, Mike and Austin

Life is GOOD said...

Nikki and Paul -

I will keep your whole family in my prayers. Would love to hear updates as you have them.

God Bless
Tara, Bret, Daryn and Brett